Are you keeping your smile and teeth safe? Did you know, many everyday things can break or damage a tooth? Yes, it’s true! Part of keeping your oral health in tip-top shape includes keeping them safe from hazards that could threaten your oral health.
Our dentist, Dr. Robert Seaman, cares about your oral health. That is why our team at Seaman Family Dentistry in Lenexa, Kansas, wants to share with you a list of common things that can create dental damage, so you know to avoid them.
Here are some common hazards to your smile:
– Chewing on ice: Ice is a hard substance that can damage your teeth and gums, which is why it’s best to not chew on ice.
– Tongue piercings: Tongue piercings can cause nerve damage and dental damage to your teeth.
– Chewing on pencils or pen caps: Chewing on pencils and pens can chip and crack your teeth, which is why it’s better to chew on something softer, like sugarless gum.
– Tobacco use: Tobacco is known to increase your chances of multiple cancers in your body, especially your lungs and throat. Additionally, tobacco also irritates the gum tissues and invites bacteria and nasty chemicals in your mouth.
– Biting your nails: Biting your nails puts a strain on your teeth and jaw which can lead to complications like Temporomandibular joint disorder, which is a condition with the two joints that move your jaw up and down when you talk or eat causing them to lock or become painful.
– Poor oral hygiene: If you neglect your oral hygiene, you are putting your teeth and gums at risk of tooth loss and gum disease which could lead to bone loss.
If you avoid these habits, you could be helping your teeth stay in tact for years to come. If you have questions about your oral health, or need to see a dentist for help, please call us today at 913-353-4095 to make an appointment.